The Monastery of Agios Tryfon
Agios Tryfon is located 10 minutes distance from the center of the village Nenita.
On a gilofo of approximately 300 meters from the sea, in such a position where you can see all the old municipality of Ionia. Straight to 100 m is the settlement and the port (refuge of the fishermen) of Bokarias.
The monastery of St. Tryfon was built around the 17th century. Unknown the takers of the inhabitants of the common. Nenita. There was about the 1860 Act of the monastery where it says anyone who wanted to become kalogiros to sell his property and buy estates near the monastery to write them in the monastery to cultivate them and to be aktimonas. Thus found near the monastery 80 sq. With Skinoys and olives and empty estates. It was dedicated to Agios Tryfon because Nenita was one of the most productive villages in Chios. Part of these acres, next to the monastery of Agios Tryfon on the hill, occupies the botanical garden of the Aegean about 33 acres.
In the monastery there were perimetric cells of the church of the monastery. There was and preserved the iconostasis of the monastery built in the 17th century. A section of Archontariki, its cells and the kitchen of the monastery are preserved. The monastery was male and had no more than 10 – 12 monks around 1948 – 50. The monastery ended with the death of Abbot father Kyrillou and the monastery comes to the community of Nenita.
Today the monastery belongs to the single municipality of Chios and is appointed ecclesiastical committee. It was unofficially the first school in Nenita. The monastery was a torch of photovolos of piety and letters with first master the monk Ignatius Chwraiti, before the year 1834, about the end 1790 – 1800.
The history of the Botanical Garden of the Aegean.
The construction of Botanical Garden, began in 2006 by the technical company AGOLMATE with Chairman Mrs Chrysanthi Valavanoglou.
It was completed and delivered in its complete form, in the building and electromechanical projects, as well as in the completion of planting, with the cooperation of ETH. I. Ag. E. Agricultural Research centre of northern Greece!
Since then, the local authorities have made several attempts to operate, which due to bureaucratic processes resulted in the abandonment of the botanical garden.
Today, with private initiative, an attempt is made to reorganize and integrate the Garden placing the Botanical Garden of Aegean in the International Organization of Botanical Gardens, Botanic Garden International Conservation and Greek network of Botanical Gardens.
Historical elements of the surround area.
Nenita is the village of Botanical garden of Aegean, located in South Chios. 500 years ago did not exist as a village, but there were seven (7) settlements, namely:
2) Giorgiwnas old Nenita,
The inhabitants were forced, either because of the raids of the Barbarian pirates, or from various needs and conditions that prevailed, because these settlements were small as a population, or from a lack of the crop of mastic, tobacco and other agricultural Crops, to gather inward and thus built the current village. The old Nenita was the last town of south East Chios. The Nenita surrounded by a wall with a mega Gennoyatiko tower, where today the elementary school is built.
The old Nenita spread between the hills of the village Afalleroy (today’s waterfall) and secondly to the South until the position of the hill Bastaga, which surrounded to B.A. from the Torrent Argenti. To west from the valley of Nenita, to N.D. from Cheimaro Kalamoti and to the east with foreshore.
After the great earthquake of 1881 ruins the old Nenita and Anigerthei the current settlement. The only building that rescued the earthquake is AG. Panteleimonas.
It is said without specific evidence that the name Nenita took it from the largest settlement the old Neeta that was in the area, the Giorgiwna. Nenita therefore equals (new cars) Nenita. From Zwlwta, who has written the history of Chios, the village named it from the Newnita (Newnoimineoapoktithenta Estates) and from the newly built, Neooikodomithento, hence Nenita.
Previously on the community Seal of the Nenita, egcharachthike the plough as the emblem. By statement of the eminent words Synpolitidoskas Emilia Sarroy. It is one of the most agricultural and productive villages of Chios, being second in the production of mastiha.
There was a strong ecclesiastical and monastic life within the old village, according to Zolwta, there were 30 small churches and 5 monasteries.
With the first of St. George, in Constantine Kanelaki and Arch. Andreadi, which was built in Chios in 556 ad of Tachiarchwn, the Saint Fotini of St. Tryfons, of Prophet Elias (Helios) in Vigla.